- CLIFFORD J. POLLOCK1
Contributed by Robert Pollock, grandson of Clifford and Esther (Wechtel) Pollock
John2 and Esther (Hustead3) Pollock’s last child was Thomas Andrew, who on November 29, 1883, married Emily (Emma) Barnett. Tom and Emma’s first child was Clifford J., born on November 20, 1884, in the James Barnett home in Providence Township, Lucas County, Ohio. It was also here that his brother, Walter, and sisters, Belle and Ethel, were born.
In 1894 Tom, Emma and the children moved across Box Road to their new home, where Carl, Leo and the baby were born, and where Ethel and the baby died.
Times were hard and Clifford did not have a happy childhood. Although he did not find farm work drudgery, it was not easy for a small boy, and he welcomed school as an escape from his chores. The farm did provide what was needed in the way of food, but his father, Tom, did not believe in providing what he considered to be non-essential. Consequently, clothes were drab and usually someone else’s before they became Clifford’s, and toys were rare. Birthdays and Christmases were sparse, if not totally uneventful. The money that might have gone for a few luxuries normally went for Tom’s liquor. Clifford never quite forgave his father.
Clifford, like the other Pollock children, attended the Barnett School. He attended high school in Grand Rapids, where he graduated in May 1901. Shortly thereafter, he took and passed the “Boxwell” examinations, which allowed him to teach school and he b egan his brief teaching career at East Swanton School in Swanton, Ohio.
In 1906 he began to teach at the Miami School in the third district of Maumee, boarding at Pete Scheller’s. The Schellers were very close friends with the Wechtels. Edward Frank and Matida, whose daughter, Esther Mary, was just entering her 7th grade. She was only 14 years old when the met and he was 24. Nevertheless, as he many times later admitted, he knew that she was the girl that he would marry.
And he did.
He taught at Miami School for two years, thus teaching Mary in her 8th grade as well.
THE WECHTELS AND THE WALDVOGELS
Esther Mary, born April 20, 1894, was the oldest child of Edward Frank4 and Matilda (Waldvogel) Wechtel. Edward Frank was the oldest child of George Carl and Augusta (Schmidt) Wechtel, and Matilda was the youngest daughter of Conrad and Maria (Keubler) Waldvogel.
The Wechtels hailed for Bavaria and Wurtemberg and the Walvogels came from Stettin, Schaffhausen Kries, Switzerland.
Esther Mary was born at 375 Nebraska Avenue, Toledo, Ohio, but in the autumn of 1899, before she was six years old, the family moved to Maumee, settling on the site of Fort Miami on River Road. The house was called “Homelike”.5
She attended the Miami School in the Third District of Maumee, where during her 7th year of school she met Cliffortd J. Pollock, her teacher, the man she would marry six years later.
In 1909-1910, Esther Mary Wechtel went to Central High School in Toledo in the vicinity of Madison and Adams Streets near Erie.6 She spent just one year there. She could see no future in going on through high school; instead, she wanted to attend a business college.
Clifford, ending his short teaching career, went on to complete his education, taking courses at Wooster College and Ohio Northern University, and then in the fall of 1909, entered the Medical School of the University of Toledo.
THE POLLOCKS AND THE WECHTELS
Clifford earned most of the money for his education by working for Edward F. Wechtel during the summers, and sometimes for the Smith farm in East Toledo. He also worked in a restaurant in his spare time to earn additional money. Nevertheless, he still might not have made it through medical school without the hel of his Uncle Frank (Francis Barnett). We don;t know how much money Uncle Frank loaned Clifford, but it was sufficiently substantial to help him through school, and also, to assist him in setting up his first medical practice. We know that $1000,00 of the amount of the loan was a gift. The remainder was repaid to Frank.
In the latter part of 1910, Esther left high school and started at Stautzenbarger Business College where she attended classes for six months. She was then hired by George Farley, general agent for Equitable of Iowa, a reasonably large insurance company at the time, and now called Equitable Life Insurance Company of Iowa. Ester became George Farley’s personal secretary in 1911. She continued to work for Farley until the first week of December, 1913.
Clifford stayed at Pete Scheller’s all through medical school until his graduation in June 1912. (Medical schools were of much shorter duration in those days.) He was one of the last graduates of the Old University of Toledo College of Medicine.
In July 1912 he went to the village of West Millgrove, Ohio, where he began his practice of medicine. He roomed and boarded with Mattie Chilcote on the main street of the village. His first office was a small building about a block away from the Chilcote residence.
All through medical school Clifford conntinued to see Edward and Matilda (Waldvogel) Wechtel and they became very close friends. He, by his own story, fell in love with Esther, and in 1911 he had told Edward F. and Matilda Wechtel that someday he intended to marry her. Esther knew nothing of the conversation until after she and Clifford were engaged on her birthday, April 20, 1913.
Clifford and Esther were married the following December, on the 11th, 1913, at Homelike. They moved immediatelly to West Millgrove where Clifford continued his medical practice, living across the street from the Chilcotes. Soon after their arrival, Clifford moved his office from the little building down the street into a wing of their home.
After a short stay in West Millgrove, Clifford decided that there was a very limited future for a physician in that locality. There were only a few other doctors, and those that were in the area were no better equipped than he was; thus their helpfulness as consultants was limited. The nearest hospital, Fostoria, was more than 12 miles away over very poor roads.
Clifford was all set tomove to Ridgeville Corners, Ohio, when Dr. George Booth, a Toledo friend, and one of Clifford’s professors at medical school, called on him and asked him see Dr. E. M. Latham who was leaving Holland. The meeting occurred, and an agreement was reached where Clifford would purchase Dr. Latham’s property, and would take over his Holland, Ohio, medical practice.
So on September 14, 1914, after only 10 months of marriage, Dr. Clifford J. and Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock moved to Holland, Ohio.
LIFE IN HOLLAND, OHIO — 1914
Before Clifford J. Pollock arrived, the vilage of Holland had a physician. Dr. E, M. Latham came to Holland in 1900 and shortly thereafter located a site for his home and office complex. He chose Hall’s subdivision on the south side of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Air Line Division railroad tracks, purchasinf a portion of the J. B. Shaner orchard. He bought a large tract of land, most of which he platted and sold in lots. He retained sufficient land to build his residence, office, barn and a new exchange for a telephone system he wasa financing (he gave himself telephone numbere “Holland 1.”) The foundation for his new home at 101 Jefferson Street (later 1332 Jefferson Street) was laid in 1902, but the house was not completeed until 1905. In the spring of that year, the Latham’s moved in. By 1913, Dr. Latham wanted to quit his practice in Holland. Apparently he never connected with the locals whom he called “rough farm folk” and his medical practice was not a financial success. Thus, he was looking for someone to take his place and confided his desires with his friend, Dr. George Booth. As already mentioned, a deal was made and the practice was transferred.
By Septemebr 1914, the Latham’s had moved away from Holland. Clifford and Esther moved into the Latham home. With a very few modifications8 the house is the same today (1975) as it was in 19149.
Holland in 1914 was a very small town — a tiny dot on the railroad right-of-way. The Lake Shore and Michigan Air Line Division was by 1914 the main line of the New York Central system. This was the goldfen age of railroading nwhen everyone took the train if he or she was going any distance. Evene Holland had a station as did Grand Rapids, Waterville, Whitehouse, Swanton and Maumee, and nearly every town or village regardless of size. Two passenger trains stopped every day at Holland.
In addition to the New York Central, the Toledo and Indiana Electric Railway, on parallel tracks, ran every hour, and for the morning and evening rush hours every 1/2 hour from Bryan to Toledo.
In 1900, the streets of Holland were unnamed dirt tracks, by 1914 they were named, but still dirt tracks. These were dusty in the dry weather, muddy in wet, and quagmires in the winter thaws.
The brick buildings constructed during and just after the Civil War were there, and a fw others, but much of the land on the south side was still part of what was once a vast apple orchard, and many of the fruit trees dotted the landscape in 191410. In this small village, Dr. Clifford J. Pollock practiced medicien until his death on November 30, 1958, an almost continuous 44 years spanning the days of horse and buggy, the Model T Ford, to fast cars, superhighways, and modern medicine.
He began his practice with horse and buggy, the buggy had a single seat, and a horse was named “King”. King was kept in the barn at the back of the property. Clifford and Esther also had an automobile, a 1914 Grant, but the roads were so bad that the car could rarely be used for house calls. In 1916, he replaced the Grant with a Model T Ford, and for the first time he had a machine capable of making calls through the sand, mud and snow. Still, the horse was kept until 1918, and was frequently used, particularly during the winter when the Model T, for reasons known only to it, refused to budge.
In his later years, Clifford loved to recall the many experiences of those early days as a country doctor in rural Ohio. Family and friends enjoyed the stories of babies born in lonely farm houses at 3:00 in the morning in the middle of a December blizzard, the Model T taking Clifford halfway to the scene of the “blessed event” and some farmer’s horse taking him the rest of the way. Being stuck wasa a common experience in those days. On house calls in the winter he would disconnect the radiator of his Model T and take it into the farmhouse with him to keep it from freeezing, connecting it up again, and refilling it with fresh water when he was about to leave (apparently anti-freeze was not available.)
During World War I he volunteered to join the U.S. Army but was turned down because of a heart murmur. He served stateside in the Selective Servicee System11 giving medical examinations to draftees and enlistees, and he did it again during World War II. He was one of the first staff doctors for Mercy Hospital in Toledo when they opened their dorrs for the first time in March 1917. He was also an attending physician for the New York Central Railroad from 1914 to 1930, and too, was the physician for the Springfield Tow nship Schools from 1914 to his death in 1958. He accepted no pay from the schools.
Clifford J. Pollock was active in village and school affairs, serving on the school board for about 16 years, until the early 1930s, during which time he purchased uniforms and equipment for the first high school basketball teams. He was a devout Methodist and served on various church committees and boards throughout his life. For many years he was the only doctor in the Holland area, which, along with his railroad, village, school and church commitments, kept him a very busy man.
The great depression of the 1930s was hard on the Holland community. Many of his patients had limited cash during those years, and he was often paid for his services in apples, pears, potatoes, chickens, eggs, and Elderberry wine and all sorts of other produce. Clifford was never a good bookkeeper, and many people owed him money from the depression years, most of which he never collected.
For most of his years on Holland, he was a typical “country doctor”. He could have amassed quite a substantial fortune, but chose not to. His charges in 1914 were $1.00 for an office call and $1.50 to $2.00 for a house call, depending on the distance he had to travel. By 1946 those rates had increased to $2.00 and $2.50-3.00. In 1958 they were $2.50 and $4.00-4.50. Many people who he knew were short of funds were not charged at all.
On September 8, 1943, he was involved in an automobile accident. The injuries he sustained were not serious, but a resulting blood clot laid him up for over two years.He did not return to his medical practice until December 1, 1946, and he was never able to walk as well thereafter.
After 1946 he limited his practice to office visits and a few house calls.
During his tenure as the only doctor in the Holland area he delivered more than 2,000 babies.those days the only time anyone went to a hospital was when he thought he was about ready to leave this world and try his luck in the next one. So babies were all born at home. That wasn’t so bad. It was getting to them that was tough.12
A fairly common experience, he liked to comment, was to be at a house delivering a baby, with the snow piling up outside, and before the first baby was born, getting another call from another expecting mother. “It wasn’t at all unusual to deliver three babies in one 24-hour period, and even five wasn’t rare.”13 He used to say that he knew everyone in the area, which wasn’t surprising since he had delivered two generations of them.
Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock was also active in community and church affairs, belonging to many groups and clubs, including the Womens Society of Christian Service (WSCS) in the church.For more than thirty years she was the organist for the village Methodist Church.
Clifford and Esther had four children, Thomas Edward (named after both grandfathers) born on March 16, 1917; Clifford Raymond (named after his father) born April 1, 1923; Joyce Hart, an adopted daughter, born May 14, 1924, and Richard Barnett, born November 15, 1933.
In August 1958, Clifford became ill while vacationing at the cottage, the Wechtel/Pollock log cabin on Lake Van Etten near Oscoda, Michigan.The family feared he had suffered a heart attack. He was admitted to Mercy Hospital in Bay City, Michigan two days later where it was determined to be a liver ailment, not a heart attack. Although he remained ill, and on two more occasions was admitted (in critical condition) to Mercy Hospital in Toledo, Ohio, he continued his practice of medicine. He was still seeing patients on Wednesday, 26 November, 1958.On Thursday, Thanksgiving day, he fell ill at home and was once again taken to Mercy Hospital in Toledo where he died at 7:00 in the morning on Sunday, November 30, 1958, 74 years and 10 days old. He is buried with the Edward F. Wechtel Family, his wife and two sons at Toledo Memorial Park, Sylvania, Ohio.14
After Clifford’s death Esther split her time between Holland and her summer cottage in Michigan. In the fall of 1959 she traveled to the high desert of California for several months to care for her newborn and youngest grandchild, while his mother recovered from serious post natal complications.
When she returned to Holland in 1960 Esther invited a fellow widow, Mrs. Edith Conde to live with her in her home. The two ladies were inseparable until the the mid 1970s when Edith moved in with her children, and Esther’s son Richard returned to Holland after medical retirement from the US Air Force.
Between 1972 and 1975 Esther (Wechtel) Pollock and her son, Richard B. Pollock, began this family history. They left behind an unpublished draft and twelve spiral notebooks full of documented family history. She saved every letter she received from her queries to her first, second and third cousins and relatives by marriage. These letters form the primary source data for all of her husband’s family genealogy and her own.She also collected family artifacts from her family and passed down to family members such treasures as: the Conrad Waldvogel family Bible and birth record; his 1846 Swiss passport allowing him to come to America; George Wechtel’s Civil War Army Discharge papers; Matilda Waldvogel’s family carte-de-vista album, and family tintype album and all of her husband’s certificates.15
Throughout her life, Esther had three hobbies: African violets; collecting salt and pepper shakers; and tatting. All of her children and grand children added to the salt and pepper collections, and received gifts of her violets and tatting which were treasured.
Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock never moved from her home at 1332 Jefferson Street. With age and arthritis, she gradually became homebound and withdrew from the community. None-the-less, she always attended the annual Holland Strawberry Festival events with great happiness. She passed away on March 14, 1986 and is buried with her parents and her husband, between two of her sons at Toledo Memorial Park, Sylvania, Ohio.
THOMAS EDWARD POLLOCK
Tom, named after his grandfathers, was born March 16, 1917 in the family home in Holland, Ohio, delivered by Dr. George Booth, the physician who had talked Clifford into taking the job in Holland. At the age of five Tom’s parents discovered that Tom had a talent for the violin. Shortly thereafter he began to take violin lessons from Ralph Whittenmeyer, a local music teacher. Tom rapidly progressed, and at the age 8 gave his first recital at the Farmers Institute in Holland. His first number was “Turkey in the Straw.” Mr. Whittenmeyer continued Tom on violin lessons until 1927 when Jean Peirie, a French music teacher from Toledo took over. Tom became quite an accomplished violinist, and soon graduated to the classics.16
Tom was attending school at Springfield Township Schools in Holland where he played in the school orchestra.
In 1931 Jean Peirie informed Clifford and Esther that he had taught Tom all he was capable of teaching, and that Tom should now continue lessons under a more advanced instructor. Consideration was being given of sending Tom to the Toledo Conservatory of Music, or perhaps, to Detroit. However, instead, while at the cottage in Michigan, on Monday, July 6, 1931, Tom became ill. He was brought home to Holland on Tuesday and admitted to Mercy Hospital in Toledo on Wednesday. He died there on Friday, July 10, 1931 of spinal meningitis. He was 14 years old.
Thomas Edward Pollock is buried beside his father at Toledo Memorial Park, Sylvania, Ohio.
CLIFFORD RAYMOND POLLOCK
Clifford Raymond, named after his father Clifford J., was born on April 1, 1923, and received his elementary and high school educations at Springfield Township schools graduating in the spring of 1941.
While in school Clifford R. was active in the school orchestra, playing the cornet, and lettered multiple times in basketball. During his school years his grandfather Edward F. Wechtel taught him the skills to become a joiner — a finish carpenter. Between 1935 and 1937 he built his first sailboat, a 14 foot sloop “Lady Luck”; a corner cupboard for his mother Esther’s china; and helped build the enclosed porch addition to the cottage in Michigan. For the rest of his life, he followed both music and woodworking as lifelong hobbies.
After his 1941 graduation from high school he decided to become a physician like his father. Clifford R. Pollock began his pre-medical education at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio in the autumn of 1941 where he studied until the spring of 1943. At that point World War II caught up with him, and he was drafted (or as he said, “was cordially invited to join”) the U.S. Army. He took his basic training at Fort Lee, Virginia in the spring and summer of 1943.
Based upon his nearly completed pre-medical work at Miami University, the Army sent him to the University of New Hampshire for his last pre-med semester, and then sent him to Fort Benjamin Harrison near Indianapolis, Indiana where he worked at a large Army recovery hospital until late 1944.
In December 1944 he was assigned to the University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine where he received his M.D. in July 1948 and took up internship at Cincinnati General Hospital. There he met a young nurse, Mary Elaine Logan.
Mary Elaine Logan was born in the 1920’s in Massillon, near Cleveland, Ohio, the daughter of Ralph Ketterer and Doris Elva (Lutes) Logan. She received her education at Ellenwood Elementary and Bedford High School before starting college at Kent State University. In 1945, Mary left Kent State and enrolled in the U. S. Public Health Service Cadet Nurse Corps. She received her nursing training at Massillon City Hospital, Massillon, Ohio, and subsequently worked as a Registered Nurse at Cincinnati General Hospital.
Her father, Ralph Ketterer Logan (1899-1953) was a metallurgist and a World War I veteran. Ralph K.Logan was the son of A. David Logan (1860-1913).17 Mary’s grandmother was Wilhelmina Ketterer (1870-1925) daughter of French and German immigrants Mary (Schworm) and Balthazar “Blazer” Ketterer a joiner/carpenter in Massillon from the 1850’s through 1900.18
Her mother, Doris Elva Lutes (1902-1977) was the daughter of Charles Elmer Lutes (1874-1943) son of George W. Lutes and Rebecca Jane Casselman, both from pre Revolutionary War Mid-Atlantic ancestry.19 Mary’s grandmother was Mary Elizabeth Jolly (1875-1933) daughter of Civil War veteran Sgt Henry Iden Jolly (18th Ohio Light Artillery, CW) and Beulah Ann Trunick.20
On July 10, 1949 Clifford and Mary were married in Bedford. The Army gave Clifford a choice of going into the Army Medical Corps, or the newly created US Air Force Medical Corps. On July 15, 1949 he began his two year Air Force commitment as a First Lieutenant. He served a physician at Hamilton Air Force Base (AFB), California (near San Francisco). They lived at Black Point, Marin County.
When his two year service commitment concluded in 1951, the Korean Conflict was raging and the USAF extended his duty until the conclusion of the war. Cliff and Mary decided to make the Air Force a career.
In 1951, the USAF sent the family to Baltimore, Maryland where he was assigned to a residency in radiology at Johns Hopkins. Upon completion of his residency and successfully passing the tests, he became a radiologist. The USAF then sent him to flight surgeon school, followed by a tour of duty at Wheelus Field in Tripoli, Libya. At this assignment he was the American physician to the Crown Prince of Libya. In 1956 he was assigned to establish the NATO hospital at Izmir in Turkey. In 1958 he was again reassigned as Group Commander of the Tactical Air Force hospital at George AFB, Victorville, CA.
In 1960, en-route to the Air Force Surgeon General’s office at the Pentagon, he attended Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk Virginia. There his love of sailing and wood working were reenergized. During his tour of duty in Washington DC he built another, larger sailboat, a sloop named Buckeye II. Buckeye was built on the patio of Cliff and Mary’s first home that they had ever owned, on Randolph Ave, City of Fairfax, Virginia. Buckeye II became the weekend home-away-from-home for the Pollock family as they explored the inlets and tributaries of the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay.
During the summer of 1965 the family moved to Chateroux, France where Clifford again commanded the hospital. In 1967 he was directed to move the Hospital to Lindsey Air Base in Wiesbaden, German Federal Republic. The transfer was successful, and the Wiesbaden Medical Center he established and built served as the largest medical facility in Europe from 1967 through 1990. While in Germany, he was promoted to full Colonel.
In 1968, the family returned to America aboard the Ocean Liner SS United States. In rapid succession Clifford and Mary were assigned to Langley AFB in Hampton, Virginia; Carswell AFB in Fort Worth, Texas; Headquarters US Air Force in Washington DC, and then to Wright-Patterson AFB in Fairborn, Ohio. At this last assignment Clifford was the Command Surgeon for Air Force Logistics Command and was responsible for nine hospitals, four clinics, and the medical care of over 40,000 Airmen across the USA, and in the United Kingdom.
Clifford Raymond Pollock retired from the USAF on April 1, 1978 after 32 years of military service. He briefly served as a consulting radiologist in Dayton, Ohio, before turning to a new vocation as a “Piano Doctor.”
In retirement, automated musical instruments became a passion for Clifford and Mary. Clifford taught himself how to restore player pianos and pneumatic instruments and between 1976 and 1990 he restored over 130. He and Mary acquired a respectable collection of automated musical instruments. Both were valued members of the Automated Musical Instrument Collectors of America, and Music Box Society International (MBSI.). Clifford served as Chairman of the Mid-America Chapter of MBSI in 1990.
Clifford Raymond and Mary (Logan) Pollock had three children.21 All were born in the 1950s, and all are still living in 2010. Two married and there are four grand children born in the 1980s who bear the surnames of Pollock and Kossman.
Just after Thanksgiving in 1990, Clifford became ill and was hospitalized. On May 6, 1991 he died after a lengthy hospitalization. He is buried in section 23 of Evergreen Cemetery, St. Paris, Champaign Co., Ohio.
Following Clifford’s retirement in 1978, Mary Pollock became a real estate agent, a profession at which she quickly excelled. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s she was in the highest sales bracket in her region of Ohio. The Ohio Association of Realtors asked her to run their Political Action Committee in the early 2000’s. In 1999 she received the Ohio Associations of Realtors highest award, and in 2005 she was awarded the Lifetime Distinguished Service Award for Western Ohio. After 30 years in the business, she remains an active realtor in Champaign County.
Mary also continued her involvement in the automated music vocation. She has served as the Chairman of the Mid American Chapter of MBSI, Meetings Committee of the MBSI, Member of the Board of Directors of the Carousel Organ Association of America, and many more postings. Her musical society involvement has taken her across the USA and to: England, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand.
THE POLLOCKS AND THE LOGANS
JOYCE HART POLLOCK
Joyce Hart Pollock, the daughter of Dr. Clifford J. and Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock was born May 14, 1929 in Toledo, Ohio. A ward of the State of Ohio, she became a member of the family in 1931. Joyce was educated in and graduated from the Springfield Township Schools in Holland.
THE POLLOCKS AND THE KERRS
In 1948 Joyce Hart Pollock met William W. “Bill” Kerr of Monclova, Ohio. Bill Kerr was born on March 19, 1924 and was educated in the Monclova school system. He served in the submarine service in the Navy during World War II and again in Korea.
On 20 August, 1949 they were married in Holland, Ohio and reside there to this day. Throughout the 1960s and early 1970s the Kerrs provided Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock her Holland support structure while Clifford and Richard were serving overseas in the US Air Force. Joyce and Bill kept up the houses in Holland and in Michigan, their children helped around the house and cottage.
Bill Kerr was an active member of the Holland community. He served as a volunteer fireman, treasurer of the original Strawberry Festival, Town Council member and Springfield School Bus Driver. Bill was also a 50 year member of Northern Light Masonic Lodge # 40 and the Telephone Pioneers of America.
Joyce and Bill were avid bowlers and members of several Lucas County leagues. They were also water-folk, introducing waterskiing to the family at the lake in Michigan, kayaking, and general lake cruising on the pontoon boat called “The Float Boat.” The Kerr home and backyard pool, in Holland, has always been a center for family gatherings and get together’s.
Joyce (Pollock) Kerr was employed by the Springfield Township Schools for many years, and Bill Kerr was employed by Ohio Bell Telephone Company, retiring after 36 years of service
Joyce (Pollock) and William W. Kerr had two children during the 1950s. Both married and are still living in 2010. There are four grandchildren born in the 1980s who bear the surnames of Kerner and Paben.22
William W. Kerr passed away at Hospice of Northwest Ohio in Perrysburg on July 15, 2009. Bill and Joyce had been married for 56 years. Joyce (Pollock) Kerr resides in Holland, Ohio.
RICHARD BENNETT POLLOCK
Richard Barnett, the last child of Dr. Clifford J. and Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock, was born in Mercy Hospital, Toledo, Ohio on November 15, 1933. He received his education at Springfield Township Schools in Holland, Ohio, and at Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio. He graduated with a bachelors of arts degree in June 1955.
For a short while, in 1955 and again in 1960-61 he worked for The Travelers Insurance Company in Hartford, Connecticut and Indianapolis, Indiana. His career, however, was with the US Air Force as a personnel officer.
In 1956 he was first assigned to Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas. Next he was assigned to Scott AFB, near St. Louis, Missouri; then Keflavick Air Base in Iceland followed by Randolph AFB, San Antonio Texas in 1958.
There was a “break-in-service” and then he reentered the USAF and was assigned to Richards-Gebaur AFB, near Kansas City until 1964. In 1964 he was assigned to Chateroux AB in France at the same time that his brother Clifford Raymond was at the base. From Chateroux, Richard was assigned to High Wycombe Air Station near London, England.
In 1969 he went to Southeast Asia and entered the Vietnam War. He was assigned for 18 months to U-Tapao, Thailand, south of Bangkok as Chief of Personnel. Following this, hew returned to Randolph AFB; had a special assignment with the US Army in Cleveland, Ohio; and then to Wurtsmith AFB, Oscoda Michigan.
In 1972 he had a heart attack, and in June 1973 he was medically retired from the USAF.
He returned to Holland, Ohio and took up residence with his Mother Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock. Between 1973 and 1975 he and Esther communicated with all known family members from the Pollocks, Barnetts, Boxs; Gearys, Conrads; Wechtels; Waldvogels, Schmidts, Mautschs; Eckhardts and more. From this correspondence comes the primary source material for the four books they drafted.23
In the early 1980s family relationships became strained with disagreements and lack of contact between Richard and his siblings. After Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock’s death in 1986 Richard B. Pollock would not honor the terms of her will. He later ran afoul of the law, was convicted of a felony, and was incarcerated.
He returned to his childhood home and lived alone. His health deteriorated and he entered a nursing home. He died of heart failure on July 9, 1998. He is buried in Toledo Memorial Park in Sylvania, Ohio with his brother Thomas Edward Pollock, his parents and grandparents.
Upon his death, Richard Barnett Pollock left his estate to Ohio Wesleyan University – designating cash bequeaths to two friends. Ohio Wesleyan University’s agents would not allow family members to enter the home on Jefferson Street, and refused to honor Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock’s unkempt bequeaths to Clifford Raymond Pollock’s estate, or to Joyce (Pollock) Kerr. In November 1998 the house and all contents were sold at a “tag sale.” At the sale Mary (Logan) Pollock was able to purchase the furniture bequeathed to Clifford, and her youngest son was able to acquire much of the family genealogy paperwork, letters and many, but not all, of the manuscript notebooks.
REMEMBERING CLIFFORD AND ESTHER POLLOCK
In May 2010, the Springfield School System and the Holland Springfield Spencer Historical Association honored the memory of Clifford J. Pollock and Esther (Wechtel) Pollock by making them the center of a school project for the third through fifth graders in the LEAP program. The students researched the Pollock family on the internet and in the libraries, interviewed Joyce Hart (Pollock) Kerr, and the created an audio-visual program on Dr. Clifford J. Pollock and his family. They also created a book entitled “Holland’s Famous Dr. Pollock” which includes their individual essays on Clifford J. and Esther (Wechtel) Pollock and their family.
For the first time in 19 years most of the living cousins and descendants of Clifford J. and Esther (Wechtel) Pollock gathered in Holland, Ohio to participate in the student’s presentation. Family members from Virginia, Ohio, Illinois, and California attended.
Following the student’s program, bronze memorial markers in the memory of Dr. C. J. Pollock were affixed to the house on the corner of Hall and Jefferson Street, and his office next door at 1326 Jefferson, Holland, Ohio.24
 This history was originally written by Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock and her son Richard Barnett Pollock in 1974 as chapter 37 of a larger double genealogy of the Barnett and Pollock Families of Lucas County, Ohio. The original manuscript is in the possession of Robert Darrell Pollock, Fairfax, VA who edited the original work and updated the history to reflect changes between 1974 and 2010.
 John Pollock was born in Maybole Scotland on 6 April 1796, son of James and Agnes (Smith) Pollock. His vital records are maintained by the Church of Scotland, and UK census of 1841 (Kirkmichael). He died in Providence Twp, Lucas Co. Ohio in July 1862 and is buried in Wakeman Cemetery.
 “Hustead” was the name as understood by their children. In fact, the Church of Scotland records show that her last name was “Houston”. See 24 Nov 1837 Record of Marriage in Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, Scotland, and 1841 census of Kirkmichael. Esther Houston was born in 1808 in Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1871 in Providence Twp, Lucas Co., Ohio. She is buried in Wakeman Cemetery.
 Edward Frank Wechtel (11 Dec 1868-20 Sep 1939), son of George Carl Wechtel, (15 Sep 1847-1920), and Augusta Schmidt (20 Jun 1849-10 May 1920), daughter of Ludwig Schmidt (1825-1889) and Hanna Glanz (1823-1908). All four of Edward’s grandparents were from the German States.
 Original footnote #53: Edward Frank and Matilda (Waldvogel) Wechtel lived in “Homelike” from September 1899 until May 1920, when they moved to the corner of Broadway and Gibbs Street in Maumee. They moved to a brick and stucco house that Edward Frank built himself. “Homelike” was situated on the grounds of Fort Miami, a French and later English fort from the 18th and early 19th century. Fort Miami played a key role in the War of 1812. “Homelike” has been moved from its original site and in 1975 was still standing. It was the second house on the left on Phillips Street, in from River Road.
 The Central High School referred to above no longer (1975) exists, and should not be confused with Toledo’s present school by that name. The location is not exact. It was very near to or on the site of the Lamson Building.
 In the summer of 1914, prior to moving to Holland, Esther Pollock, accompanied her father, Edward F. Wechtel, to look at property he had purchased the previous year in Michigan – a log cabin on Van Etten Lake, near Oscoda, Michigan.
 The “living room” and “sun room” were originally the medical office area with a front porch entrance through the “sun room” into the medical office. When Clifford moved his office next door (1326 Jefferson Street) the entrance was changed, the pocket doors opened, and a fireplace was added.
 Original footnote #54: The house on the corner of Jefferson and Hall Streets in Holland Ohio, was owned by the Pollock’s for over 72 years. For a short time in the winter of 1914-1915 it housed the offices of Dr. Clifford J. Pollock. When he moved his practice to an adjoining building, his previous office was modified as described above. In the spring of 2010, the author visited 1332 Jefferson Street and found it to be substantially the same as when the Pollock’s were in residence. Thankfully, the HVAC, Bathrooms and Kitchen have all been modernized (previously, the bathroom dated to 1905, the kitchen had last been updated in 1939; and the furnace dated to 1948.)
 Orignial #55: Merrill, Lola Vessey, A History of Holland Ohio, 1829-1953. Also from the recollections of Esther Mary (Wechtel) Pollock in 1974.
 In 1946 he received the Selective Service Medal and Certificate from the Commissioner of the SSS.
 March 31, 1957 Article in the Toledo Blade.
 Public records noting Clifford James Pollock, include: 1900 Census of Lucas County, Ohio; 1910 Census of Lucas County, Ohio; 1920 Census of Lucas County, Ohio; 1930 Census of Lucas County, Ohio; WWI Draft Card, Lucas Co. Ohio; WWII Draft Card, Lucas Co. Ohio; Lucas Co. Ohio Probate Court Records 1920, 1926, 1939, 1944, 1958,1959; Newspaper articles, The Toledo Blade in November 1957, Nov/Dec 1958 and May/June 2010.
 The Wechtel & Pollock artifacts were given to the editor in December 1997 by Richard B. Pollock. In the summer of 2010 the records were in the possession of Col Robert D. Pollock, USAF (ret) secured in the City of Fairfax, Virginia.
 Original #56
 A. David Logan was the son of Irish immigrants Sarah (Wilson) and Robert Logan who was an engineer on the Pennsylvania Railroad System (Cleveland, Akron & Columbus RR) in the 1860s-1890s. Robert Logan (1830-1888) was from Northern Ireland. He and his wife Irish emigrant Sarah Jane Wilson (1837-1920) resided in Akron, Ohio.
 Emigrant Balthazar Ketterer (1830-1900) was from Alsalce, then in Germany, now in France. He and his wife Baden emigrant Mary Schworm (1832-1915) resided in Massillon, Ohio.
 George Washington Lutes (1850-1913) was born in Greenfield (Coal Center), Pennsylvania. He and his wife Rebecca Jane Casselman (1853-1932) resided in Lisbon, Ohio.
 Henry Iden Jolly (1831-1908) was born in Columbiana Co., Ohio and was raised in Gallipolis, Gallia Co., Ohio. He and his wife Beulah Ann Trunick (1840-1920) lived in Lisbon, Ohio.
 This is chapter has been prepared for public release. Therefore, in accordance with current genealogical and privacy practices, the names of the living (under 80) children and grand children are not included to protect their privacy. Family members may contact the editor and obtain an unexpunged version.
 This is chapter has been prepared for public release. Therefore, in accordance with current (2010) genealogical and privacy practices, the names of the living (under 80), children and grand children are not included to protect their privacy. Family members may contact the editor and obtain an unexpunged version.
 The four books are: The Pollocks 1800-1975; The Barnetts 1812-1975; The Waldvogels 1820-1975; The Wechtels 1820-1975 (this last book’s manuscript is lost – the source documents remain).
 The bronze plaques were placed by the Holland Springfield Spencer Historical Society, with the financial support of the students, the town of Holland, and private donations.